My main focus for 2017 is to strive to be a better person for myself, my friends & family, the environment/planet, and other living beings. We’re already 2 weeks into 2017 and even though it’s too early to tell, I think I can say that I’ve already made lots of progress because of the different resolutions I set for myself this year. Last May I became a vegan overnight after educating myself about the huge impact animal agriculture has on the environment. This was the beginning of my effort to change my habits and learn more about how badly we’re treating our planet. [I wrote a blog post about my first month of being vegan; an updated version is really overdue] This past December I was introduced to the ideas of minimalism and the law of attraction. I can write a post about them in the future but essentially these ideas made me realize the importance of mindful thinking and that happiness can be easily achieved just by changing some things in your life. So without further ado, here are my resolutions for 2017:
- Decrease how much I depend on my phone and social media by picking an hour (or more) during the day to put my phone away and actually do something.
- Read at least 3 books every month (and not just fiction).
- Expand my music taste by trying to listen to music of other genres like folk, jazz, soul, blues, reggae, and music form other cultures around the world (click the links for the spotify playlists I made).
- Do something new or go somewhere new every month.
- Buy things I only truly need. Shop less at fast fashion stores and more at thrift stores/goodwill.
- Write more letters to friends and family.
- Stop asking for new things and just appreciate what I already have.
- Drink more water.
- Meditate at least 5 times a week (maybe more).
I’m ready to make 2017 even better than 2016.