It’s been a year since I went vegan and over the past 12 months, I discovered the difficulties of finding vegan “fast food”. But with extra research and effort, I was able to “veganize” a bunch of super tasty options from places such as Potbelly and Panera Bread! I also tried to find choices that provide a good source of protein to keep me full. For any other vegans out there that are also facing this obstacle, here’s a little list of what I order when I’m on the go:
Potbelly: The Mediterranean Sandwich
- on multigrain bread
- without feta cheese
- (optional) I love to add avocados for the extra $1
- the hummus and artichoke hearts are so flavorful and the cucumbers give the sandwich that extra crunch
Panera Bread: Modern Greek Salad with Quinoa
- without feta cheese
- the dressing is amazing and the quinoa pretty much completes the salad
Noodles and Company: Japanese Pan Noodles
- delicious udon noodles with soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, other veggies, and a little kick
- this one is definitely one of my all time favorites
- it’s already vegan as it is, but I love to add tofu for some extra protein
Chipotle: Burrito Bowl
- I usually ask for: brown rice, black beans, sofritas (organic tofu), mild salsa, corn salsa, and lettuce
- this one will definitely fill you up
- I like to order the bowl instead of the burrito because you can always put the cover back on and save the leftovers!
- almost all the bagels are vegan (besides french toast, asiago cheese, etc.)
- I usually get the everything bagel with hummus, and toasted (you can never go wrong with hummus)
- these thin crust pizzas (vegan dough) are completely customizable, so feel free to load up on whatever veggies your heart desires
- they offer vegan (Daiya) shredded “cheese” too!
- I usually order the “mini” (6″) pizza with red sauce, basil, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, and vegan cheese
- their bbq sauce and garlic rub sauces are also vegan
- Chick-Fil-A waffle fries
- Wendy’s natural cut fries
Other restaurants that aren’t really fast-food, but ones I would highly recommend:
- If you’re in the Chicago-land area there’s a pretty good chance that you have already heard of this one, but if you haven’t, definitely go check out the Chicago Diner (there’s one on Halsted St. and one on Milwaukee Ave.). All of the choices are meat-free, vegan or vegetarian, and are DELICIOUS. I usually order a sandwich or burger, a side of sweet potato fries, and a mint-chocolate chip vegan shake.
- Native Foods Cafe is actually a restaurant I discovered during my recent trips to California, and I was so happy when I found out that there was also one in Chicago. Like the Chicago Diner, this one is also completely plant-based. Their seitan and tempeh burgers and earth bowls are so good.
There are so many other options out there that aren’t on this list, so if you’re a vegan and have your own go-to’s, feel free to comment below! I would love to try new dishes!